I am a 4th year Software Engineering student from Porto, with great passion for programming/software developing, artificial intelligence, algorithms, distributed systems and just software engineering as a whole. I have grown to be a proactive person that always seeks to have initiative and to keep learning about my interests, even outside of college. Moreover, I am also a big fan of sports, mainly football, tennis and basketball. Other hobbies include chess, gaming, and exercising.
Research Assistant - "Big Data for Energy"
- Developing a platform to foster energy analytics for R&D institutions, by automating energy and weather data collection and management.
- Automated energy data collection by creating scripts that periodically fetch data from APIs of electricity data sources in Europe.
- Implemented detection of missing values by creating software that monitors DB with 130+ tables, each one with an average of 3 million rows.
- Allowed registered users to extract desired data by building an authentication layer and a REST API, and by helping create a user interface.
- Organized and presented a hands-on workshop for the INESC TEC Power and Energy Systems team, to showcase the tool for their future usage.
- Assisted the professors during the practical classes of IART - Artificial Intelligence, by helping students regarding Search and Optimization algorithms, Knowledge Engineering, Natural Language Processing, and Machine Learning.
Software Engineering Intern
- Learned about the methodologies and tools used in critical projects, such as software for airplanes, trains and banks.
- Built a real time chat service using Java and Kafka.
- Built an automatic encryption/decryption system for smart meter data with Java, SSL and XML documents.
- Participated in and organized a variety of events/projects in different areas, ranging from Cybersecurity to AI to Competitive Programming.
- Organized and presented a Git, GitHub and Open Source contributions workshop for 20+ students.
External Relations Department Member
- Established 5 sponsorships from companies for SINF, a Software Engineering event in FEUP, as part of its External Relations Department.
Integrated Masters (BSc + MSc) in Informatics and Computing Engineering
- Current cumulative GPA: 18.42/20. Currently enrolled in the 4th year
- Relevant Coursework: Algorithms and Data Structures, Distributed Systems, Web App Development, Databases, Artificial Intelligence
- Received a Merit Scholarship in the 2018/19 Academic Year, given to the best students in Portugal.
A more extensive list of my projects can be found here.
- Team leader of a project being developed for the Dr. Ricardo Jorge National Health Institute.
- Developed web app for management of reagents, samples, procedures and executions, results, and other important data for the institute.
- Developed a Computer Vision module that identifies QR Codes on reagents and monitors the scientist's steps when executing a procedure.
- Integrated a CI/CD pipeline for linting, testing, and deploying the application on a Heroku server.
- Developed a distributed peer-to-peer system in the Internet that allows the backup of a file divided in chunks in other peers; also allows the restoration and deletion of a file, and the reclaim of a peer's personal space.
- Protected the system against faults and raised its stability and scalability by using and implementing the Chord Protocol.
- Assured the privacy and integrity of the messages, and increased system security by implementing secure communication channels with JSSE.
- Achieved high degrees of concurrency and parallelism by using thread-pools and non-blocking I/O.
- Extracted Covid-19 data from a Kaggle dataset that contained the confirmed, death, and recovered cases for each day and for each country/region; developed and trained several regression models with the goal of successfully predicting Covid-19 cases and deaths.
- Used data visualization Python libraries to create graphs in order to better understand data patterns.
- Utilized the following models and methods: Neural Networks, Stochastic Gradient Descent, Support Vector Machines, K-Nearest Neighbours and Random Forest.
- The Kaggle dataset used can be found here.
- Contributed to an open source project by developing a mobile app for conferences, that allows the user to see the conference's program and to make a custom schedule, receiving push notifications when an event is about to start and also allowing BT scanning for near-by events.
- Volunteer in the operations and logistics department, in the 2020 edition of the tech conference Talk A Bit, held in FEUP.
Certificates & Prizes
DGES Merit Scholarship 2018/19
Merit Scholarship in the 2018/19 Academic Year, given to the best students in Portugal.