Software Engineering MSc Student @ FEUP
Currently working on my MSc Thesis: "Micro-containerization in Microcontrollers for the IoT"
I am a Software Engineering student from Porto on the final year of my masters, with a great passion for programming/software developing, artificial intelligence, algorithms, distributed systems and just software engineering as a whole. I have grown to be a proactive person that always seeks to have initiative and to keep learning about my interests, even outside of college. Moreover, I am also a big fan of sports, mainly football, tennis and basketball. Other hobbies include chess, gaming, and exercising.
Software Development Engineer Intern
- Worked on performance improvements for the Amazon Lookout for Metrics service.
- Decreased memory consumption of the training workflow by ~93% and allowed a potential throughput increase from 50K time series to 1M time series, by developing a pre‐processing phase that converts datasets into a more efficient format.
- Performed extensive testing and performance benchmarking, in order to report execution times, memory consumption and CPU usage.
Research Assistant - "Big Data for Energy"
- Developed a platform to foster energy analytics for R&D institutions, by automating energy and weather data collection and management.
- Automated energy data collection by creating scripts that periodically fetch data from APIs of electricity data sources in Europe.
- Implemented detection of missing values by creating software that monitors DB with 130+ tables, each one with an average of 3 million rows.
- Allowed registered users to extract desired data by building an authentication layer and a REST API, and by helping create a user interface.
- Organized and presented a hands-on workshop for the INESC TEC Power and Energy Systems team, to showcase the tool for their future usage.
- Assisted the professors during the practical classes of IART - Artificial Intelligence, by helping students regarding Search and Optimization algorithms, Knowledge Engineering, Natural Language Processing, and Machine Learning.
Software Engineering Intern
- Learned about the methodologies and tools used in critical projects, such as software for airplanes, trains and banks.
- Built a real time chat service using Java and Kafka.
- Built an automatic encryption/decryption system for smart meter data with Java, SSL and XML documents.
- Participated in and organized a variety of events/projects in different areas, ranging from Cybersecurity to AI to Competitive Programming.
- Organized and presented a Git, GitHub and Open Source contributions workshop for 20+ students.
External Relations Department Member
- Established 5 sponsorships from companies for SINF, a Software Engineering event in FEUP, as part of its External Relations Department.
Integrated Masters (BSc + MSc) in Informatics and Computing Engineering
- Current cumulative GPA: 18.47/20. Currently on my 5th year out of 5.
- Relevant Coursework: Systems Architecture, Distributed Systems, Web App Development, Algorithms & Data Structures, Artificial Intelligence
- Received Merit Scholarships in the 2018/19 and 2019/20 Academic Years, given to the best students in Portugal.
Computer Science Exchange Student
- Studied abroad for one semester, through the ERASMUS program, at Aalto University, in Espoo, Finland.
- Relevant Coursework: Cloud Software and Systems, Complex Networks, Cryptography, Distributed Algorithms, Multimedia Services in Internet, Fintech and New Technologies
A more extensive list of my projects can be found here.
- Team leader of a project developed for the Dr. Ricardo Jorge National Health Institute.
- Developed a web app for management of reagents, samples, procedures and executions, results, and other important data for the institute.
- Developed a system that monitors user actions during a lab procedure, by identifying QR Codes on reagents and recognizing voice commands.
- Allowed users to configure input/output devices that best suit their needs, by designing an extensible and scalable plugin‐based architecture.
- Integrated a CI/CD pipeline for linting, testing, and deploying the application on a Heroku server.
- Developed a distributed peer-to-peer system in the Internet that allows the backup of a file divided in chunks in other peers; also allows the restoration and deletion of a file, and the reclaim of a peer's personal space.
- Protected the system against faults and raised its stability and scalability by using and implementing the Chord Protocol.
- Assured the privacy and integrity of the messages, and increased system security by implementing secure communication channels with JSSE.
- Achieved high degrees of concurrency and parallelism by using thread-pools and non-blocking I/O.
- Extracted Covid-19 data from a Kaggle dataset that contained the confirmed, death, and recovered cases for each day and for each country/region; developed and trained several regression models with the goal of successfully predicting Covid-19 cases and deaths.
- Used data visualization Python libraries to create graphs in order to better understand data patterns.
- Utilized the following models and methods: Neural Networks, Stochastic Gradient Descent, Support Vector Machines, K-Nearest Neighbours and Random Forest.
- The Kaggle dataset used can be found here.
- Contributed to an open source project by developing a mobile app for conferences, that allows the user to see the conference's program and to make a custom schedule, receiving push notifications when an event is about to start and also allowing BT scanning for near-by events.
- Volunteer in the operations and logistics department, in the 2020 edition of the tech conference Talk A Bit, held in FEUP.
Certificates & Prizes
DGES Merit Scholarship 2019/20
Merit Scholarship in the 2019/20 Academic Year, given to the best students in Portugal.
DGES Merit Scholarship 2018/19
Merit Scholarship in the 2018/19 Academic Year, given to the best students in Portugal.
Núcleo FCL German Course A1.1
Completed an introductory German course offered by Núcleo FCL.